Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Beginning!

My journey with MS began on May 14th, 2010.

I truly do not know what to expect, nor do I know how my journey will play out. I DO know that I am going to do my part to make sure I am in control as much as possible.

I think that the first thing that I have realized is that most people say "I'm so sorry", which is the correct thing to say, but since I got my diagnosis, I have never felt so loved or important in my life. My fiancee Amanda, who I am lucky to have in my life, also quickly became my hero. I was so upset when I was driving home into Manhattan from the Neurologists office, about how difficult it would be to tell her that I have MS, I was panicking. I had called her on the phone to prep her that I did indeed have MS, and I was expecting when I got home that we would sit on the couch and cry or have a serious heart to heart. Instead, Amanda greeted me with a big hug and kiss and asked me if I wanted ice cream! I asked her if she wanted to talk and what she said was that the MS didnt change the way she felt about me, and we will figure it out. Then we went for a nice long walk on the pier, and we sat down and faced the water. It was the most relaxed I have felt in years. Its amazing how on a day when I felt so devastated, that one person can make me feel so calm within myself.

From what I know, MS seems like a tricky illness. What I dont know is how bad it will affect me, and what I should do to maintain my health. I am reading up to see what I need to do and how I need to do it. The good thing is that I walk everywhere, and Ruby (our dog) will become VERY fit. Its weird, because after speaking to the Neurologist, apparently I have had this for a while. That also said, I have very minor symptoms (at least for now), mostly just a dead heel of my left foot, and some tingling in my right foot. There is no real pain, and it just feels like I am walking on a pair of socks that are bunched up.

I do want to thank all of my friends and family that have showed support. I can't begin to describe how much that means to me. I know some of you I dont speak to very much, or see very often, but my words here can't describe how much you all mean to me.

That said, I do hope to make this blog fun. I hope that we can make light of this and someday laugh about some of these stories. Apparently there is a lot of falling down with this illness, so I think laughter is the best cure. Maybe I can be more raunchy and become the Andrew Dice Clay of Illness Blogs.

On a side note: "Falling Down" was a really good movie, and I never like movies.

Thanks again, and until my next post -
Vin

P.S.: I know what some of you are saying, that I am a total geek that I am blogging. Well, I have to admit, the more I talk and write about this, the more comfortable I feel about it, so I'm gonna give this a try until I have nothing to say, or forget my password (50-50 odds). And I don't do facebook or any of that other shit, so this is my way of opening up. This is much more intimite then knowing some of you love "Billy Ocean" and are fans of "People who use the word Guesstimate"...so suck it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fan of the word guesstimate...but I'm a bigger fan of your blog!

    ReplyDelete